Re-discovering Health in Nature

Re-Discovering Health in Nature!


Nature is not just the inspiration for my art anymore.....Nature will define how I live my life.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

More BPA!

WARNING!  This post jumps around a bit...as I was researching as I was writing it.....

Didn't I just say that when you begin researching...you realize how much more there is to learn? One thing always does lead to another...... So, I was researching juicers.....discovering the differences of which I'd had no idea.
Hold on.....Let's start at my beginning:
My sister-in-law Carla posted a link to watch Hungry for a Change, by the producers of "Food Matters".  So then I watched "Food Matters" too. Mostly they talk about things that I already know.....to get quickly to the point - about the amount of poisons in commercially processed foods. I have been expounding on the virtues of organic foods for over a year now....and slowing moving towards a complete organic lifestyle. (talk about one thing leading to another.......). The films also exhort on the benefits of juicing. Eating fruits & vegetables is fine & good....but they require digestion. Juicing, on the other hand, delivers all of the nutrients of the produce in a form that can be quickly assimilated by your body.....literally within 15 minutes, those nutrients are usable by all of your bodily systems. Amazing!
I learned so much more from these films, but that will have to wait for another post. So, on to my immediate search for a juicer!
1st.....There are several different types:
centrifugal
masticating(single gear/single auger)
upright masticating(even more versatile)
triturating(twin gear)
I had pretty much decided on the Omega J8003 masticating juicer. Masticating juicers are capable of juicing everything, including leafy green vegetables and wheatgrass. (centrifugal juicers cannot). The Omega is at the upper limit of my price range @ $229, but rated excellent, even better than some more expensive models. I was all ready to order one from Amazon.....but, wait! I thought I'd do a search to see if I could find one locally....no waiting!
I ended up stumbling on another review site......which listed some juicers I hadn't previously researched, and with capabilities I hadn't previously seen, ie: soy milk. The upright juicers can actually make soy milk! Amazing! So I started looking at those.....and they are at least $100 more expensive. Is the ability to make soy milk worth that extra dough? I had just about ruled that out.....but happened to start reading the description of the Kuvings Silent Juicer....
and here's where we're going with this....
 "The Silent Juicer is the first of upright juicers to offer all BPA-Free Juicing components, including juice and pulp cups".
We've all heard about the BPA in baby bottles....and in receipts as I shared yesterday.....and I now avoid ALL canned goods unless they are BPA free. Yet, I had never made the link to small kitchen appliances which are constantly coming into contact with the food we eat. If you have a small appliance made with polycarbonite...it probably contains BPA. My food processor bowl probably contains BPA......my hot air popcorn popper probably contains BPA(did I mention that heated foods exacerbate the leaching of BPA?) And now.....most juicers probably have BPA in their juicing components! What is the point of buying organic produce, juicing for quick assimilation of nutrients into the body....only to contaminate those nutrients with our preparation method?!
UPDATE:
 There is not a whole lot of info out there regarding BPA and juicers....except that the Kuvings version is BPA free. I have seen some claim that "the amount of time your produce spends touching the plastic surfaces of the juicer is minimal, and that the benefits far outweigh the perceived dangers"...but then they also show how the plastic augers of some juicers become scratched over time.....scratched, meaning another object has come into contact with the auger, and removed minute particles leaving a scratch in its wake. Minimal as it may be......it is a contaminant!
Do I want to compromise the integrity of my juice, and ultimately my health?
And do I want to spend $350 on my new juicer???
That is my BIG question today.
Oh....my research on plastics has revealed that ALL plastics leach into foods, particularly when they are reused and exponentially when they are heated, ie: water or soda bottle left in a hot car all day.  (I have an "emergency" water bottle in my car...guess where that's going?)  And pretty much ALL are endocrine disrupters as well.
Again....one thing always leads to another....
Its pretty tough to completely avoid plastics today.....especially if I want to juice!  There may be juicers out there that are entirely stainless steel....but, I can't afford them.
So, we start here: " avoid those (plastic items) marked on the bottom with the recycling label No. 7, or the letters PC, as these varieties are most likely to contain BPA".
And avoid exposing any plastic to heat.
Switch to jars and tetra packs where you can.
I know I'm going to check all over my house, and see what turns up. As for my juicer......I've made the decision to not compromise when it comes to "known poisons", ie: pesticides, BPA, etc....but, is this "BPA free" juicer really safer than the others?  or are they all equally safe/unsafe?
My Bottom Line:
I think the centrifugal juicers may be slightly more unsafe, as they do produce some heat when they manipulate the food at high speed.  Masticating juicers, on the other hand, work at a much lower speed, and maintain the cool temperature of the food.  I'm also not happy with some of the reviews I've read regarding the Kuving's Juicer.   SO.....I think in this instance, I am going to go with the Omega....at least until I can be assured my money is actually purchasing something more beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment